Grégoire PontAnimator, Illustrator
A new tone and aesthetic supported by poetic and intelligent animations which make the programme ideal for introducing young people to music.
Grégoire Pont was born in Paris in 1969. An exceptional artistic talent, from the tender age of eight he attended the Animation Workshop in Paris where he studied Norman McLaren’s techniques of animation dynamics.
Pont has always been passionate about making classical music more popular and accessible to both children and adults by means of animation. He developed a new performance concept called Cinesthetics, where he draws and animates live to a musical performance.
Recent Cinesthetic performances include Ravel’s Ma mère l’oye at the London Royal Festival Hall, Paris Philharmonie and Frankfurt Alte Oper; Schönberg’s Gurrelieder and Elgar’s Enigma Variations in Gothenburg; Debussy’s La mer at Tokyo’s Suntory Hall and Saint-Saens’ Le carnival des animaux with Les Siècles.
Pont has also received great acclaim for bringing his innovative animation techniques to the operatic repertoire. Together with British director James Bonas he conceived productions at Opéra de Lyon of Ravel’s L’Enfant et les sortilèges and L’heure espagnole, and has premiered a new production of Orff’s Der Mond. The dramatic success of L’Enfant resulted in a revival in 2019 with San Francisco Symphony and performances at Oman’s Royal Opera House, Limoges Opera and Cincinnati Symphony. Pont also created animations for the semi-staging of Bizet’s Carmen for Orchestre National de Lille.
- Carl Orff: Der Mond
- Bizet: Carmen, Orchestre National de Lille, 2019
- Mussorgsky: Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks, 2019
- Ravel: L'heure espagnole, France3 TV News, Opéra de Lyon 2018
- Debussy: La Boîte à joujoux, Opéra de Rouen 2018
- Ravel: L'Heure espagnole (trailer), Opéra de Lyon, 2018
- Grégoire Pont: Nocturne
- Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des animaux, Beauvais, 2018
- Ravel: L'enfant et les sortilèges - feature from France3 TV, 2017
- Ravel: L'enfant et les sortilèges
- Ravel: L'enfant et les sortilèges, Opéra de Lyon, 2016
- Schönberg: Gurrelieder, Götheborg Symphony, 2016
- Dalbavie: Agoraphobic, 2015
- Connesson: Disco Toccata, 2013
News and Articles
Happy 250, Beethoven!16 December 2020
The show must go online16 August 2020
Discover Maestro Arts' Project Portfolio4 March 2019
James Bonas between Glasgow and Lyon1 February 2019
L'Heure espagnole - Opéra de Lyon23 November 2018
Grégoire Pont: The Enigmatic ElgarCinesthetics 16 April 2018
L'enfant triumphs in LyonGrégoire Pont, James Bonas 3 November 2016
Grégoire Pont and Les Siècles celebrate double debuts at SBC!François-Xavier Roth's stimulating French programme 2 November 2016
Grégoire Pont celebrates Ravel in Paris and Schönberg in Gothenburg31 May 2016
Cinesthetics - Grégoire Pont16 September 2015