Hats off to James Bonas for the flair and energy of his staging, which radiated visual imagination.
After studying psychology and philosophy in Oxford and performing as a classical pianist, James Bonas trained as an actor (RADA London) before developing a career as a director with a broad interest, ranging from classical theatre and contemporary opera to innovation in the use of video design and animation.
Highlights of 2018-19 include a new production of Ravel’s L’Heure espagnole for Opéra de Lyon featuring projections by animator Grégoire Pont and Chabrier’s L’étoile with Lisbon’s Teatro Nacional de Sao Carlos.
Recent work includes a staging of Stravinsky's The Soldier's Tale for the BBC Proms at the Drill Hall, Lincoln, Hänsel & Gretel for Bergen National Opera, an outreach production of Westside Story for Future Stages in collaboration with RNCM, The Tempest for RADA and a new production of Ravel’s L'Enfant et les sortilèges for the Opéra National de Lyon, in an innovative production conceived around the projections of aforementioned animator Grégoire Pont.
- Ravel: L'heure espagnole, France3 TV News, Opéra de Lyon 2018
- Ravel: L'Heure espagnole (trailer), Opéra de Lyon, 2018
- Ravel: L'enfant et les sortilèges, Teatro Nacional de São Carlos, 2017
- Humperdinck: Hansel and Gretel, Bergen National Opera 2017
- Ravel: L'enfant et les sortilèges - feature from France3 TV, 2017
- Ravel: L'enfant et les sortilèges
- Ravel: L'enfant et les sortilèges, Opéra de Lyon, 2016
- Offenbach: The Tales of Hoffmann
Triumph at Edinburgh International Festival for The Crucible16 August 2019
Summer News11 July 2019
'L'étoile' - a new production staged by James Bonas5 April 2019
Discover Maestro Arts' Project Portfolio4 March 2019
James Bonas between Glasgow and Lyon1 February 2019
L'Heure espagnole - Opéra de Lyon23 November 2018
NewsletterMaestro Arts welcomes ..... 27 June 2018
James Bonas directs 'West Side Story' with RNCM Young Company2 March 2018
James Bonas debut in Norway with Hansel & Gretel for Bergen National Opera14 November 2017
L'enfant triumphs in LyonGrégoire Pont, James Bonas 3 November 2016
A fun and feisty trip through the woods with Hansel and Gretel in Seattle18 October 2016